Finally, after long long hiatus, collecting wills and times to read, selecting which new books in read that I want to read first, (yes, there are many new books in my shelves that I haven’t read since I bought them), I choose to read………BRIAR ROSE by Jana Oliver. This books bought in December 2013 when I traveled from Jakarta to Bali. I thought I could kill boredom in plane before I arrived. Turns out I sleep, sleep, and sleep in planes. Then, forget about the new book once in Bali.
a. Book’s Identity
Title: Briar Rose
Author: Jana Oliver
Start & finish date: 6-9 April 2016
Total page number: 470 pages
Category(ies): Young Adult, Fantasy, Adventure
Publisher & publishing dates: First published 2013 by Macmillan’s Children Books
b. Plot Summary:
It tells a story about Briar Rose, or sleeping beauty in different adventure and modern theme. Start from a girl, named Briar Rose, who almost reach her sixteenth birthday. Her parents always warn her not too get in touch with Joshua Quinn, her childhood friend. They once was a good friend, before drowning accident. When Briar and Josh was (probably) seven years old, Briar almost drown in lake near Potter’s Mile. She would, if Josh was not in time to save her. Since then, their parents drew apart. Even Mrs. Quinn would grounded Josh if she know that Josh talk to Briar, even just near.
Next, it is told by her best friend, Reena, that Briar is cursed. On her sixteenth birthday, she will die. This answer her question why her mom always look frustrated each day and panicked. Briar seeks answer about this and no one can give it the answer she wants. Finally, when the time comes, her dad told her. Briar refused it, instead, she choose to go to party near lake. Her father agrees, with one condition, Briar has to come home at the latest eleven thirty. She’s agree.
At the party, she meet her crush, Patt Daniels. But Briar turned down with his act. To surprise, she meet Josh, and he give her a silver charm bracelet. Briar like it and decide to use it. Then, she go home with Reena. When she’s arrived, Reena’s Grandmother, Lily, is there. She said that the curse it’s true. But Briar would really die, unless she could fight the curse and win against it. Confused and doesn’t know what to do, her mom and dad, Reena, and Lily accompany Briar in her bedroom to go asleep. She asleep when time is twelve o clock.
And the adventure begin, she wake up in some like industrial yet medieval place in night. Her pyjamas replaced by village dress and booth, her nail polish also gone, except the bracelet that was given by Josh earlier. From here, Briar should start to reveal the truth behind the curse. She must fight it in order to wake up in real world again, or she will die, both in dream and reality world.
On the other hand, her friends, Reena and Josh, try their best to help Briar cure her curse. As Reena can practice little magic, she decide to wake up crossroad spirit, the Dark Rider, to help them travel to Briar’s curse world. Unfortunately, Josh did a mistake. the Dark Rider is a mischievous spirit. He like to tease and Josh is tempted. Instead, Josh make the deal with the hell spirit. A deal that costs much to be paid……..Even he can save Briar Rose.
- The princess in this story is not the common you know. She is the princess you would like to punch, on the other side, you pity her. You will hope someone can replace her.
- Jana Oliver success bring these questions to the reader: What should Briar do to break the curse? How she manage it? What happen when the curse broke, is then happily ever after? And the most question of all is: who put the curse on the first place?
- Well, it’s a bit spoiler. Briar got some help from her beloved friends. The one whom she thinks is really jerk, turns out is not jerk at all. She try to find the prince to break the curse, because that’s how sleeping beauty tale. But no, the prince that she found is not the right one and doesn’t mean to be with her.
- Briar might be a good girl, but spoiled somewhere inside of her. However, she try to break the curse by herself. aaaandddd, I always love the story when the character works hard to achieve something. Jana Oliver presents Briar in more human. Not too wise, too nice, too kind, to pretty. She’s ordinary, but she still the hero.
- Oops, I think there are two hero in this story. Because there are more than one problem. And when you reach your first happy ending, it doesn’t guarantee the second one should be excellent ending too, isn’t it?
- Too much details
- Little boring for few first chapter
e. Favourite Scene *contain spoilers*
- When Briar realise that Josh is right for him, not Ruric, not even Patt Daniels
- When the Princess discovered, but she’s not the one you hope to break the curse
- When Briar, Reena, Patt, and Josh come back from the curse and things get worse because Josh has deal with the Dark Rider
- When it is reveal that the behind all of this misery is Briar’s Mom
F. Most Favourite Character
JOSHUA QUINN!!! He’s loyal and have faith among the story. He’s brave and prove to be the good knight. He is a type of person who will do anything to make it right. He’s not give up. After the accident in the lake, he’s prohibited to make contact with Rose family. Despite, he doesn’t care. He will do anything to take care the woman he love, even he should be grounded.
G. Most Hate Character
Mrs. Rose. For sure. Her grieve and angry for loosing favourite sister has cause all of the mess. I am happy to know, that she’s the one who start, later she’s the one who should receive the payback. Justice enough.
well, I give 4 stars in my goodreads. It’s a good story, I love this one, twist fairy tale with different perspective and the princess join a war, not just wait for her prince to kiss her. Instead, she should find who’s the one. And she should brave enough to admit it, who’s the right man for her, despite her stubborn attitude, somehow. However, it is not excellent enough to be caught in my mind for days, so, 4 stars: Worth to Read should be enough.